A short history of the Wittelsbacher
The founding of the Wittelsbacher
At the beginning of the 19th century Munich counted no more than 50,000 inhabitants. As more and more people moved to the city, more children were born and the communal area enlarged, more than half a million inhabitants lived within the city limits at the end of the 19th century. This development had its impact on schools.
Around the year 1900 there were five colleges or „Gymnasien“ in Munich, all of them laid out for 400 to 500 students and with an actual attendance of 700 each. Therefore, the city council discussed plans to build a new college.
In April 1906 the council agreed on erecting a sixth college in Munich with a rather small majority voting for it since many politicians were afraid of leaving the outer regions of Munich behind in terms of higher education opportunities.
In order to find a suitable site, several ideas were discussed. The final location near Hackerbruecke was decided upon as being the best since it offered excellent accessability through public transportation.
On September 17, 1906 the foundation was laid and the construction of the building was started. There was not much time since the school was supposed to start classes the following year. However, the building was completed right on time in August 1907 and it was His Royal Highness Prince Luitpold who assigned the name “Wittelsbacher-Gymnasium” to the newly founded school.
The new building was unanimously praised as a well-proportioned, modern and impressive sample of a genuine German architectural style.
The first year saw 490 students in 13 classes with an average of 50 students in what is now called year 5. In July 1908, the first students graduated from the Wittelsbacher.
The development chronologically
|1907||school is officially named „Wittelsbacher-Gymnasium“ – lessons begin|
|1934/35||first expansion of the building; modern gym hall added|
|1938/39||transformed to a boys-only school|
|1944||gym hall destroyed by bomb attack|
|1945/46||re-opened as College for the Humanities|
|1958/59||gym hall rebuilt|
|1963/64||old part of the building renovated|
|1965||building taken over by the City of Munich; complete interior redecoration; newly defined as College for the Humanities and Modern Languages|
|1987/88||new concept for the school yard; opening of the basement theater|
|1990/91||partnership with Kreuzschule Dresden|
|1997/98||opening of the school's own art galery PS2|
|1999/2000||introduction of special curriculum „European College“|
|2001/02||opening of the school café|
|2002/03||opening of the „Room of Silence“|
|2004||new library for undergraduates|
|2008||cooperation with the German Aerospace Center Oberpfaffenhofen|
|2008||jubilee 100 years „Wittelsbacher-Gymnasium“|
|2013||special choir classes (year 5 and 6) in cooperation with the Munich Dom-Singschule|
|2014||introducing Spanish as regular subject|